October is the month for all thinks pumpkin; whether you're a fan of pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes or just a trip to the pumpkin patch for prospective Jackolantern making, pumpkins just seem to be everywhere you look. As pumpkins are a part of the squash family and every grocery store seems to brimming with them, we were inspired to try out this delicious Acorn Squash Apple Sausage Recipe.
This recipe is the epitome of autumn with just the right balance of warmth and deliciousness. The best part is that not only is this this a total comfort meal, it's also really healthy. It's a great combination of vegetables and protein brought together to create a drool-worth autumnal dinner idea or even treat!
What you'll need:
- 2 small/medium acorn squash
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped stalks of celery
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 1 chopped apple
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400.
2. Cut your acorn squash in half, scoop out all the seeds and innards until there is a little "bowl" inside each side of the cut squash.
3. Drizzle on olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook squash halves in oven for 40 - 50 or until "fork tender".
4. While the squash is cooking, you can prepare sausage in medium frying pan on stovetop. Add garlic, rosemary, and onions. Cook until sausage is browned. Add apple until softened and panko breadcrumbs and cheese until all mixed together.
5. Remove squash from oven and scoop in "stuffing" to the inside of the bowls. Cook for another 20 minutes inside oven.
If you’re looking for something that has the perfect balance of natural sweetness and savouriness but still fills you up in only a few bites, this is the perfect autumnal recipe for you!
Share your versions of the 'Salsa Chicken Meal Prep Recipe' on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook and tag it with #keepmoving or @RCPhysio so we can see your delicious creations!